Zamboanga City shut down as MNLF men attack its villages

Photo by REUTERS/Stringer

Photo by REUTERS/Stringer


By Roel Pareño and Dennis Carcamo/philstar.com – Six people have been reported killed and dozens wounded and trapped after more than 100 suspected members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) infiltrated several coastal villages in Zamboanga City before dawn Monday.

Zamboanga City Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar said in her official statement that the the fatalities include a navy personnel, a policeman and four civilians.

Twenty-four have also been wounded in the encounter between the government troops and the rebels that started around 4:30 a.m., according to Climaco.

Military spokesman Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala said elite Navy personnel clashed with a group of at least 100 armed MNLF rebels on board a large motorboat and eight small vessels off the village of Rio Hondo, a crowded Muslim community in the port city.

Chief Superintendent Juanito Banio, director of the Zamboanga Peninsula regional police office, earlier said that two persons have been confirmed killed in the clashes.

Both officials said that the rebels were also able to breach into the villages of Sta. Barbara and Lustre, where sporadic gunfire are being reported.

Reinforcement troops and police have been deployed to help secure Rio Hondo and the two other villages.

Banio said that the MNLF rebels are being led by Haber Malik, a Moro commander closely linked to the MNLF faction of former ARMM governor Nur Misuari.

220 trapped civilians

Climaco said the ongoing crisis situation has only affected the barangays of Sta. Catalina, Sta. Barbara, Talon-talon, Mampang and Kasanyangan.

Zamboanga City has a total of 98 barangays.

She said 200 people were reportedly being held hostage at the village of Kasanyangan along and 20 more in Barangay Sta. Catalina.

Around 600 residents have been evacuated from Arena Blanco and Rio Hondo villages while 847 people have fled to Tetuan Central School and Tetuan Parish Church. Several others are also at the Talon-talon National High School.

Climaco said the local government is mobilizing all resources to address the situation brought about by the occupation of alleged MNLF members in some coastal barangays.

“We are in close coordination with our police and military authorities and everything is being done to solve the crisis the soonest possible time with minimal damage to lives and properties,” said Climaco.

The official assured that she is in touch with President Benigno Aquino III and the Executive Department and they are monitoring and helping to the situation.

“The public is advised to remain calm but vigilant and alert, report anything suspicious or unusual happening in your locality,” she said.

Classes, flights canceled

City Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar has canceled classes in all levels in the city while business establishments in the downtown have been shut down.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines, meanwhile, declared the city a “no fly zone” due to the ongoing conflict.

It said that all commercial flights going to and from the city will remain suspended until 9 p.m. and its lifting would depend on the situation.

Cebu Pacific Air, earlier, canceled its flights to and from the city due to the conflict.

The Ninoy Aquino International Airport Media Affairs Division announced that Cebu Pacific Air started to call off its flights at 9:30 a.m.

It said that the next Cebu Pacific flight to Zamboanga City, flight 5J-857, which is expected to arrive at 11:15 a.m., is put on hold until the situation normalizes.

U.S. counterterrorism forces that have been providing training to Filipino troops for years are based in a military camp in the city, but officials said the skirmishes have been confined so far to the three villages.

The Moro group signed a 1996 peace accord with the government but many of its fighters held on to their arms and accused officials of reneging on a promise to develop an autonomous region for minority Muslims in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.

The government is determined to sign a peace pact with another rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and has signed the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro.

The framework agreement paves the way for the creation of a new Bangsamoro entity in the Mindanao, which will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.Bangsamoro entity in the Mindanao, which will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Find more like this: Breaking News

  • U.N. Rights Council to Investigate Killings in Philippine Drug War
  • Philippines declares national alert after 456 die from dengue fever
  • Trying to save the stories of a Philippine culture, one scan at a time
  • Pinoy archaeologist brings new human species discovery to Australia
  • Philippines a slowly ageing society – PIDS study
  • Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

    Entertainment

  • Nickelodeon releases first look at rebooted classic kids program Blue’s Clues with Filipino-American host Joshua Dela Cruz
  • How Marvel’s first featured Pinoy superhero can save society
  • This play tells the urgent story of a Filipino comfort woman
  • Will ‘Sahaya’ be the first Pinoy series on Netflix?
  • Z-GIRLS, Z-BOYS with Pinoy members to debut in Korea
  • MORE...

    Features

  • My story, and the new story of Filipino immigration
  • An appreciation of Moro food can bring Pinoy Muslims and Christians closer, says this Muslim chef
  • Showcase of PH culture, heritage
  • US and Philippines: Friends, Partners, and Allies
  • A Transgender Paradox, and Platform, in the Philippines
  • MORE...

    Tourism

  • Northern Blossom Flower Farm: Atok’s floral carpet
  • Philippines records ‘all-time high’ 7.1M tourist arrivals in 2018
  • Philippines island Boracay reopens for test run following huge cleanup
  • Philippines closes ‘cesspool’ tourist island of Boracay
  • Boracay Set to Ban Tourists for Six Months During Island ‘Rehabilitation’
  • MORE...

    Sports

  • Filipino speed skater bags spot in 2020 Winter Youth Olympics
  • Pinoy gymnast Carlo Yulo earns historic qualification in worlds
  • Finding a way to bring the NBA to the Philippines
  • First Filipino table tennis Olympian Ian “Yanyan” Lariba dies at 23
  • Skateboarder Margielyn Didal wins 4th gold for Philippines
  • MORE...

    OFW News

  • Filipino maids’ dragon boat team makes splash in Hong Kong
  • DOLE suspends OFW deployment to Kuwait
  • Some OFWs turn to vlogging to beat loneliness, share life abroad
  • Overseas Filipino Bank to serve immigrants, workers
  • The ‘bagong bayani’ of the Philippines
  • MORE...

    Environment

  • ‘Sordid Chapter’ Ends As Philippines Sends Back Canada’s Trash
  • Southeast Asia became dumping ground for plastic waste – study
  • Boracay Set to Ban Tourists for Six Months During Island ‘Rehabilitation’
  • Boracay: the good, bad and ugly sides to Philippine island for tourists
  • Luzon has greatest concentration of unique mammals
  • MORE...

    Pinoy Places
    and Faces